Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Getting Secret Security Clearance, but not Top Secret?

I am pursing a career with the Governement, and I am sure I will get Secret Security Clearance. But how important is it to get Top Secret. I am afraid that for whatever unknown reason they just decide to deny me. Obviously have nothing to hide. But I have lived in several countries. Should I worry about getting Top. Can you go far with just secret? Because I don't want to pursue a career where, there my be a dead end.
What happens if I have been working for the Gov. with Secret clearance. But, then need to get top, and get denied? Will my career be over?
Answers:
Your level of clearance depends on what you need to know to get your job done. If you need to nothing above confidential, then you don't get a secret clearance.
The branch of government, the levels of clearance of those with whom you work... nothing like that makes any difference.
If you are in an environment that requires a certain level of security. that is, if in the execution of your duties you come in contact with sensitive information, you may be required to get that level of security, or you may be disallowed access to certain areas of the place in which you work. And even if you have a TS clearance, if there is confidential information you dont need for your job, you will not ge given access to it.
If you need an upgrade to get a promotion, that clearance check will be made.
Security clearances cost money. There's a lot of legwork and investigation that goes on. For that reason, security investigations are kept to the minimum required.
It depends, did accepting the job depend upon your getting a TS.
Yours asking for a iron clad statement, I think the answer is no but who can tell.
I think I would ask whomever is hiring what they think and the answer may still be incorrect. It could be years before the problem shows up if there is a problem. Maybe you need a SCI clearance and flunk the lie detector test any number of things could happen.
Just keep your nose clean

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net