Saturday, October 31, 2009

First cousins, are they legally aloud to marry in any state in the US?

I have a friend who is dating here first cousin. I thought (other than be morally taboo) it was against the law to marry one another. She informed me that its not illegal. That they can actually marry in every sate in our union. Sounds wrong, but thats why I am here. Can someone please provide me with the correct answer to this.
Answers:
"Twenty-four states have laws forbidding first cousins from marrying, and seven states have limits like requiring genetic counseling.
But no countries in Europe have such prohibitions, and in parts of the Middle East, Africa and Asia, marriages between cousins are considered preferable. "
What state are you in?
I have a niece on my husband's side that married her cousin in Californian. I do not know if that was the cause but they have a little boy with severe learning disabilities It is not so much about the moral issues, but about the same kind of genes that might play havoc on their children
They can marry in several states in the US, but there might be a few that don't allow it.
Some states allow it but unless they want to raise disabled children they shouldn't do it. When family members have children together it causes all kinds of genetic problems, that's why it is outlawed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net