Saturday, October 31, 2009

Forced to use a National Rate Number (UK)?

My domain hosting company is holding me over a barrel by demanding that I call them on an 0870 number to move my account somewhere else. Isn't there anything in law to ensure that other lines of communication are available?
Answers:
There is nothing in law to stop a company using national rate numbers.
You could try looking on this site:
http://www.saynoto0870.com/
Which may list a standard telephone number, as all 0870 numbers have to have a standard number to operate.
You said your Domain Hosting Company, I assume they are only hosting from that line, therefore if you find your letter from Nominet confirming your domain name then there should be a security section on that, this will allow you to transfer your domain name into another company like BT etc without the need to contact your old Domain Hosting Company. Any domain can be moved online as long as you have served your minimum period. If you go to the BT website it even asks you if you want to transfer a domain name in, its that simple.

However if you do not have the letter from Nominet then I am not sure what the procedure would be, I would certainly check out the nominet website before using premium rate numbers, all the best ...%26lt;GB%26gt;
No it`s perfectly legal for them to use national rate lines, they will just say they have more than one UK office and they will route the call to the first available line.
My company does it even though i think it`s immoral. We are told to say they can put their enquiry in writing or get in touch via email.
I think a lot of letters to watchdog is the only way to go - who wants to be shamed by Nicky Campbell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net